Top 10 Sweet Treats
1) Coffee Ice Cream at Sweet Ritual The ice cream counter housed inside JuiceLand on 45th and Duval mixes Red Rabbit vegan donuts into a coffee base for a decadent, one-stop treat.
2) Sweet & Salty Pie at Royer's Pie Haven Recently opened in the former Toy Joy complex, Royer's offers a broad array of pies daily, but I'm particularly fond of this rich, fudgy wedge of sin.
3) Pineapple Brown Butter Blondie by Jodi Elliott Sometimes featured on the dessert menu at Foreign & Domestic and sporadically available at Elliott's Saturday bake sales at the restaurant, my fingers are crossed that this deep-caramel, pineapple-flecked treasure will be in regular rotation at Elliott's new, not-yet-open venture, Bribery.
4) Dulce de Leche at La Condesa A caramel pudding cake dancing with cream cheese ice cream and sweet popcorn is erstwhile pastry chef Laura Sawicki's legacy at the trendy Downtown Mexican restaurant. It's perfect for sharing, but that last bite could make or break a friendship.
5) Millionaire Shortbread and Tiffin Bars from Sticky Toffee Pudding Co. Tracy Wilkinson-Claros has developed a new obsession in the form of these two eminently craveable dessert bars. The reasonable portion sizes make them a (relatively) guilt-free treat. Available at Fresh Plus on West Lynn.
6) PB&J Cheesecake at OMG Cheesecakery This brand-new dessert trailer, situated in the SoLa Blue Food Court on South Lamar, just opened in December but the individual cheesecakes are like a hug from an old friend.
7) At the Ritz Stacker at Cow Tipping Creamery Soft-serve ice cream is slathered in house-made fudge and peanut butter sauces, then generously heaped with a salty topping made from Ritz crackers. You can't miss the great big blue truck corralled in the Longhorn Food Court at 26th and Rio Grande.
8) Cinnamon Roll at Contigo The crown jewel of brunch, this bready heap of spicy-sweet carbohydrate bliss is pastry chef Kendall Melton's crowning achievement.
9) Just Beet It Vegan Cupcake from Skull & Cakebones I'm not a big proponent of hiding vegetables in sweets, but I should point out that my son inhaled this earthy, chocolatey afterschool treat (featuring beets from Johnson's Backyard Garden) without batting an eye. At a wholesome 160 calories, this is a pretty sweet deal. Available at Wheatsville Co-op.
10) Banana Cream Pie at Pieous This pizza joint way out in the western exurbs is best known for its pizza, but save room for a behemoth slice of this scratch-made pie so full of bananas it nearly topples under the weight of its own deliciousness.
Top 10, Austin food news, Sweet Ritual, Royer's Pie Haven, Jodi Elliott, Pineapple Brown Butter Blondie, La Condesa, Sticky Toffee Pudding Co., OMG Cheesecakery, Cow Tipping Creamery, Contigo, Just Beet It, Skull and Cakebones, Pieous