• Beets Cafe (1611 W. Fifth #165, 477-2338, www.beetscafe.com) celebrates its first anniversary and expansion with a party featuring live music, complimentary food and drinks, and door prizes. Friday, Oct. 15, 6-10pm.
• Two Opal Divine's outlets host benefits this weekend. At Penn Field (3601-K S. Congress, 707-0237), Jimmy LaFave headlines a musical benefit for Malia Moore's medical expenses. A $10 donation is required at the door; kids get in free. Saturday, Oct. 16, 4pm. At Opal's Freehouse (700 W. Sixth, 477-3308), the Jigglewatts continue their Saturday burlesque review benefiting Breast Cancer Resource Centers of Central Texas. Make a $5 donation at the door, and enjoy Drink Pink specials for extra donations. Saturdays, Oct. 16, 23, & 30, 10pm.
• Sugar Mama's Bakeshop (1905 S. First, 448-3727, www.sugarmamasbakeshop.com) hosts a customer appreciation party in honor of the store's second birthday with free cupcakes, drinks, live music, and a cupcake cannon. Sunday, Oct. 17, 2-5pm.
• Satellite Bistro & Bar (5900 Slaughter #400, 288-9994, www.satellitebistroandbar.com) celebrates 11 years in business with a week of food and drink specials dating back to 1999, culminating in the bistro's AnniverSoiree. Monday-Saturday, Oct. 18-23.
• The monthly Wine Me Dine Me dinner series continues at Cafe Josie (1200-B W. Sixth, 322-9226) with wines from Oregon's Argyle Winery. $75 all inclusive. Make necessary reservations at email@example.com. Tuesday, Oct. 19, 6pm.
• Chef Bob Hauser presents his monthly cooking class at Cannoli Joe's (4715 Hwy. 290 W., 892-4444). $35 for appetizers, a three-course meal, recipes, and wine pairings. Make necessary reservations at www.cannolijoes.com. Wednesday, Oct. 20, 6:30-8:30pm.
• Enjoy another Grillin' & Chillin' event featuring cocktails and crustaceans on the patio at the Paggi House (200 Lee Barton Dr., 473-3700, www.paggihouse.com). $35, reservations necessary. Wednesday, Oct. 20, 6:30pm.
• Lavaca Street Bar (405 Lavaca, 469-0106) commemorates 21 years in business with a Las Vegas-themed party featuring games, food and drinks, an Elvis impersonator, and a costume contest. Thursday, Oct. 21, 8pm.
food events, Freebirds World Burrito, Music for the City, Beets Cafe, Opal Divine's, Jigglewatts, Sugar Mama's Bakeshop, Satellite Bistro & Bar, Wine Me Dine Me, Cafe Josie, Oregon, Argyle Winery, Bob Hauser, Cannoli Joe's, Grillin' & Chillin', cocktails, crustaceans, Paggi House, Lavaca Street Bar, Las Vegas
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., July 8, 2011
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Oct. 23, 2009
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., June 5, 2009
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., April 17, 2009
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., April 10, 2009
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Oct. 28, 2011
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Oct. 14, 2011
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Oct. 7, 2011
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Sept. 30, 2011
Virginia B. Wood, Fri., Sept. 9, 2011
Show & Tell Show at Spider House Ballroom
at Cinemark Hill Country Galleria 14, and Tinseltown North
Biscoe Chose Poorly : Thanks for Amy Smith's coverage of Travis County Judge Sam Biscoe’s unfortunate appointment of professional lobbyist Bruce Todd to ...
Blood, Sweat, and Applause As co-writers of Blood, Sweat, and Cheers, we would like to answer a question Ms. Cobbe asked about the script ...
Weird = Good, Lunacy = Bad Two Things: 1) Recyclable bags: Sure, everyone pitching in to clean up the toxic waste. Back in the old days ...
'Dirty Sixth' No Misnomer “Austin is the live music capital of the world, and Sixth Street is where it's happening.” That's the message we ...
More Sidewalks Needed The article “Honk If You Prefer Walking” reports a growing demand for sidewalks across the United States. I certainly see ...
- Follow us@AustinChronicle