Au Revoir, Les Enterns
Go back to school with the 'Chronicle' interns
Texas State University – San Marcos
Jordan Gass-Pooré (senior, English and mass communication; anticipated graduation: May 2014), interviewed by Tyler Pratt.
Cheap Date Close to Campus
Sewell Park. You and your significant other can play sand volleyball, have a picnic or barbecue, dive into the 72-degree water of the San Marcos River (home to several threatened and endangered species), or walk hand-in-hand along its banks. The Showplace has 50-cent movie nights on Thursdays.
Jo on the Go has the best coffee I've ever tasted. They also sell breakfast tacos from a local taqueria and offer interesting takes on a grilled cheese. Order the Shyster – two espresso shots, half and half, lots of sugar and love.
Taproom has beers from around the world. It's not too loud and the drinks are relatively inexpensive. Root Cellar also has half-price mimosas and sangria during happy hour.
Favorite Off-Campus Study Spot
• Jo on the Go, 312 University Dr.
• The Coffee Pot Bistro, 129 E. Hopkins
Best-Kept Campus Secret
The Wittliff Collections at the Alkek Library
Survival Tips for Incoming Students
• Keep a planner and use it. Color-coding also helps.
• Keep food in your bag. You don't want to have a crash in the middle of the day.
• Go to your professor's office hours at least once. It will likely help improve your grades.
• Get involved in something. If Greek is not your thing, join an organization. Make friends and do new things.
• If you don't see the organization you want, start one. Future employers will look at this and it will show your organization skills.