Top 10 Local and Regional Stories of '06
By Mark Fagan,
1:01AM, Thu. Jan. 4, 2007
5) After having called the Travis County Expo Center home for the last 10 years, the Austin Ice Bats moved their Bat Cave to the newly refurbished Chaparral Ice Arena.
6) On Thursday, Dec. 28 the Austin Toros of the NBDL managed a feat unaccomplished in their first 12 games: they won. Their current record stands at 1-13.
7) 2006 saw the continued success of not one but two Roller Derby leagues here in town, the Lonestar Rollergirls and the Texas Rollergirls. The Texas Rollergirls Texecutioners also won the 2006 Flat Track National Championship in Tucson, Ariz.
8) The Round Rock Express made the jump from AA to AAA with Roger “the Rocket” Clemens making an appearance on the mound June 16 in front of a capacity and star-studded crowd.
9) The emergence of Tony Romo as the Cowboys No. 1 QB somehow managed to draw the media’s attention away from Terrell Owens, for now.
10) The NFL returned to New Orleans with a Super Bowlesque production including performances from Green Day and U2. Better still, the Saints beat the Atlanta Falcons 23-3 and made the playoffs.