What do you get when you cross MTV and the Marx Bros.?
By Monica Riese, 9:30AM, Tue. Apr. 1, 2014
Releases, lineups, casting, and more, all in this week's Film Flam.
• Drafthouse Films announced yesterday that it had acquired the North American distribution rights to The Overnighters. The documentary about a small North Dakota community took home the Special Jury Award for Intuitive Filmmaking at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival; look for more details on its theatrical and VOD release later this year. (N.B.: When it does open in theatres, a portion of all box office sales will benefit local affordable housing charities.)
• The Alamo Drafthouse is hosting a Marx Bros. retrospective series on Saturdays throughout April at the Ritz location. Look for a new film – Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, Duck Soup, and more – each Saturday; tickets and complete details are available on the Drafthouse site.
• Rooster Teeth dropped the first round of programming for RTX 2014 last week, including the premiere of RWBY: Volume 2, Greg Miller, Master Pancake Theater, and more. The event runs July 4-6; visit the event website for complete details and ticket information.
• MTV is holding a casting session for an upcoming season of The Real World at Little Woodrow's (520 W. Sixth) on Tuesday, April 8, from 10am to 5pm. Bring a photo ID and a picture of yourself for the casting directors, and note that you must be 21 by June 2014 (but no older than 24). Start getting real, y'all.
• Remember Disenchanted? The Austin-based Renaissance faire sitcom (filmed at Sherwood Forest Faire, which just concluded its fifth season) took home the award for best writing at the New York Television Festival last year, and now you can watch the entire pilot on YouTube. We've embedded the episode, titled "The Feudal Position," below; stay tuned to NeuSpaceChurch Productions for updates on the project.
Got tips? Email email@example.com.