Austin Film Festival Announces Jury and Screenplay Awards
Audiences still have chances to catch screenings
By Monica Riese, 5:39PM, Sun. Oct. 27
Though the 20th anniversary Austin Film Festival runs through Thursday, Oct. 31, you don't have to wait for some of the biggest news.
The festival announced the winners of its annual screenplay and teleplay competition, as well as who's taking home jury awards, this afternoon. Keep an eye on all these winners, but especially the screenplay winners, who have been known to bring their final films back to AFF for premieres, as in the case of this year's Coffee, Kill Boss. Check out the full slate below, and congratulations to all!
• Drama Screenplay Award presented by the Writers Guild of America, East:
Last Waltz of Vienna by Brian Weakland
• Comedy Screenplay Award: Don’t Talk to Irene by Pat Mills
• Enderby Entertainment Award: Hooking Up by Jacqueline Fitzgerald
• Darkwoods Productions Horror Award: The Hitch by Troy Miller
• Dark Hero Studios Sci-Fi Award: Lightspeed by Brian Siegele
• AMC One-Hour Teleplay Pilot: Liberators by Eric Haywood
• Sitcom Teleplay Pilot: I Love Monsters by Julie Cross
• One-Hour Teleplay Spec: Doctor Who: “Ghost Town” by Alyssa Weinberger
• Sitcom Teleplay Spec: Girls: “Golden Birthday, Golden Showers” by Sarah Carbiener & Erica Rosbe
• Dark Matters Feature: OXV: The Manual (W/D: Darren Paul Fisher)
• Young Filmmakers Program Competition Grand Prize: "HB" (D: Imogen Pohl)
• Narrative Student Short: Pistachio Milk (D: Avram Dodson)
• Documentary Short: "Blinde Liefde (Blind Love)" (D: Jenny van den Broeke)
• Animated Short: "A Cautionary Tale" (D: Erica Harrison)*
• Narrative Short: "Fool's Day" (W/D: Cody Blue Snider)*
• Documentary Feature: Political Bodies (D: Christopher Englese)
• Narrative Feature: Beside Still Waters (W/D: Chris Lowell)
*Note: AFF is an Oscar-qualifying festival for shorts, which means the Narrative and Animated Shorts winners are eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award this year.
Keep up with all our AFF coverage at austinchronicle.com/austin-film-festival.