From Madonna to the sofa, we've got your film news
By Monica Riese, 1:56PM, Tue. Oct. 15
The Alamo Drafthouse is all over headlines, plus good news from a fundraiser last month and an open casting call this weekend.
• Starting today, the Alamo Drafthouse team is hosting a monthlong sweepstakes leading up to the premiere of Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. Weekly prizes include Drafthouse gift cards, passes, and rentals, but the grand prize drawing Nov. 18 will put one Austin market finalist's name in a hat for a trip for two to the premiere. No purchase necessary; fine print here.
• Speaking of the Drafthouse, CEO Tim League tweeted Friday banning Madonna from the national chain of theatres for having texted through the premiere of 12 Years a Slave. Since pressed on the matter by Entertainment Weekly, League said the tweet was an "offhand joke … but now that it seems to have taken hold, sure, I'm going to enforce it." Meanwhile, keep an eye out for the Texas premiere of the film during the upcoming Austin Film Festival.
• Last DH note, we swear: Five recent Drafthouse Films releases are now available for streaming on Netflix Instant: A Band Called Death, Graceland, Pietà, Wake in Fright, and Wrong. Ladies and gentlemen, start your queues.
• Cine Las Americas just announced dates for next year's festival – April 22-27, 2014 – which means they're officially accepting entries. Filmmakers, you have until Dec. 13 (late deadline: Jan. 17, 2014) to submit your project "by or about Latinos in the U.S. or the rest of the world [or] by or about indigenous groups of the Americas." For complete guidelines, see the Cine Las Americas website.
• Remember the Clips Beer & Film Tour we told you about last month? New Belgium Brewing announced that they were able to raise about $2,700 for Austin Ridge Riders Mountain Bike Club. Some 500 people attended the event, which just wrapped its fourth year.
• Open casting call! Vicky Boone Casting is aiding the search for a half-dozen high school kids to fill roles in the upcoming Paramount Pictures film Men, Women, and Children. Title notwithstanding, the only open roles are for teens ages 15-18 – four guys and two girls. The casting call will be held at Austin Studios (1901 E. 51st), 10:30am-4:30pm.
Got tips? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.