News Ticker: May 8
All the news that's fit to blog
By Brandon Watson,
3:50PM, Wed. May 8, 2013
Southwest Airlines makes vacation plans, State Health Services smells something fishy, and Rick Perry threatens the Lege. Summer fun is on the News Ticker.
• The unarmed man shot at by an Austin Police officer was reportedly hospitalized because of a panic attack. Sounds like someone was overreacting.
• Southwest Airlines has added a daily direct flight from Austin to New Orleans to its schedule. For the return trip, one will have to rely on magic.
• The Austin Board of Realtors yesterday announced their formal support of an independent governing board for Austin Energy.
• The Texas Department of State Health Services has issued a warning against eating eight fish species due to high mercury content. They also advise against eating thermometers, but local chefs tend to use them sparingly.
• The latest pro-AISD bonds flyer targets Austinites with an extreme dislike of Gov. Rick Perry. It seems like a lot of money to spend just to reach Anita.
• True, the ads might find resonance with Texas lawmakers if Perry makes good on his threat to call a special session. But for some reason, very few of them seem to vote in Travis County elections.
• Looks like Perry will have to start buying everyone margaritas. It seems to have worked for Ted Cruz.