News Ticker: April 12
All the news that's fit to blog
By Brandon Watson,
2:36PM, Fri. Apr. 12, 2013
Dan Patrick clears a hurdle, Barry Smitherman chokes, and Ted Cruz prattles on. Communication is on the News Ticker.
• We thought for years that In-N-Out just didn't like the Central Texas heat, but now we're beginning to take it personally.
• One Austin python is up to no good.
• In the Capitol, lawmakers are legislating. The Michael Morton Act, which seeks to make open files the law of the land, handily cleared the Senate.
• Sen. Dan Patrick's stealth school voucher bill tip-toed through the Senate. Squeakily, and very, very sneakily.
• Meanwhile, a House panel approved plans to make Texas History a little too realistic.
• And the lower chamber is gunning for other subjects too. Calculators teach thinking skills, right?
• According to Texas Railroad Commissioner Barry Smitherman, all the gun control debate needs is more overheated rhetoric.
• Sen. Ted Cruz is like a Chatty Cathy doll whose string is permanently pulled. He refuses to believe that there are some people who just aren't receptive to his message.
• Half of all Americans approve of America. U.S.A! U.S.A.!