Weekend Warriors for Public Schools
Save Texas Schools and Texas AFT to rally at capitol
By Ramon Martinez,
5:20PM, Thu. Jun. 2, 2011
After a day of testimony at House and Senate public hearings on the state budget, public school advocates including Save Texas Schools, Texas AFT and Texas Forward have organized multiple events for those still holding out hope on public education here in the Lone Star State.
Saturday finds Save Texas Schools rallying outside Senate chambers at 11am and 1pm; don't forget the kiddies, and be ready to get loud, the press release warns.
Monday is the turn of teachers' union Texas AFT, this time in the Capitol Rotunda. This will be followed by a "Tele-town Hall" with Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, where they say thousands of Texan teachers will be on the phone to voice their opinions. Talk about a tough crowd. You may be feeling like it's too little too late – or instead, laying the groundwork for a continuing reform campaign – but both groups have ongoing call-in campaigns and petitions to sign. Check the Save Texas Schools, Texas AFT and Texas Forward websites for more information.
From the Texas Forward press release:
Saturday, June 4th | 11am and 1pm
Save Texas Schools – The Eyes of Texas Are (Still) Upon You! How to participate:
1. If you can, e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you're coming. If you're bringing a group, give us the approximate number.
2. Come a few minutes before 11 am or 1 pm so that we can start our rallies right on time. The lobby of the Senate Chamber is on the second floor, just above the Rotunda.
3. Bring signs and bring your children! Their presence speaks powerfully! Also, if you have a Save Texas Schools t-shirt or other shirt with appropriate message, please wear.
4. Each rally will last approximately 90 minutes. Be ready to get LOUD! If you can, stay for both rallies. Food is available in the Capitol Grille between rallies.
5. More questions? Call us at 512-653-4935 or e-mail email@example.com
Monday, June 6th | 12pm and 1pm
12 noon – Texas AFT Rally in the Capitol Rotunda! Gather to support public education in Texas!
1pm – Texas AFT Tele-town Hall featuring Senator Wendy Davis!
To participate in person: head to MALC offices – 202 W. 13th Street Austin, Texas 78701
To participate via telephone: See website for RSVP link
The Tele-town Hall will also be available via live stream. Details forthcoming.