These women were kicking ass and taking names this past year.
TOP 10 QUEER GRRRLS OF 2013
2) LAVERNE COX first won our hearts’ as Sophia on Orange Is the New Black, and by now she owns them. She’s a kickass actress and a needed voice for trans* activism.
3) JD SAMSON & MEN released their second album, once again reminding us of JD suave reppin' for the androgynous “Be You” movement.
4) BRITTNEY GRINER gave us (another) reason to watch the WNBA after coming out during the 2013 draft. Why? The former Baylor student wants kids to know it’s okay to be who they are. Insert appropriate "Awwwwww" here.
5) NOMI RUIZ blew this year’s GayCL into another universe. The headliner dropped jaws, and panties.
6) HEATHER MIZEUR will hopefully be governor of Maryland by November, 2014. We’d be lookin' at the first openly gay candidate to be elected governor in the country.
7) ABBY WAMBACH AND SARAH HUFFMAN might just be the number one Power Couple of 2013. Between their soccer-star-studded wedding in Hawaii, their adorable dogs, and Abby’s declaration that their October marriage was all about love – not politics – the pair can do no wrong. And check out those biceps!
8) MARY LAMBERT not only gave us a reason to listen to “Same Love” she’s also become a game changer in the fight to help all women feel comfortable in our bodies.
9) MIA McKENZIE's blog Black Girl Dangerous is a lifeline for many, and her debut novel raked in all the queer/lesbian writers awards this year including the Lambda Literary Award for debut fiction.
10) ANNISE PARKER just ya know, Houston’s first openly gay mayor. The bad news: This is her last term as mayor. The good news: She was reelected for her third time in November and she and her long-term pard are planning their wedding. I’m tellin' ya, Texas is slowly turning blue.
Copyright © 2015 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.