The AggreGAYtor: March 6
Your daily dose of LGBTQIA news
By Brandon Watson,
10:45AM, Wed. Mar. 6, 2013
Scott Lively learns mixology, Chris Culliver tries a little tenderness, and Fallon Fox fights for her rights. Today's AggreGAYtor is risen' up to the challenge of our rival.
• The nomination of Pamela Chen, the first Asian-American lesbian appointment to the federal bench, has been confirmed.
• The Mennonite pastor who helped kidnap a Vermont lesbian's child has been sentenced to 27 months in jail, which really won't affect his life one way or the other.
• New analysis claims that pro-marriage equality views do not hurt incumbents chances of reelection.
• Progress. Back and forth forever.
• If journalists are able to describe someone as a "Mississippi sheriff," can we all agree that they probably should not be the deciding vote on whether something is a hate crime?
• Of course, if you ask some naysayers on the right; hate crimes are stealthy leprechauns trying to hoard "special rights" gold. Michelle Malkin, the rights leading advocate of volumizing shampoo, describes a sign reading "Nigger + Faggot Center" posted at Oberlin College's Multicultural Center as a "purposely provocative exercise in free speech."
• Massachusetts goobernatorial candidate Scott Lively comes up with a zinger(?) questioning why supporters of gay marriage also aren't into bisexual marriage. "Turd in a punchbowl" indeed.
• Talk show host Janet Mefferd, the unholy love child of Chuckie and a Cabbage Patch Preemie, ominously warns all the equality talk will lead to something bad, bad, bad. "Not necessarily a terrorist act," but maybe a traffic jam?
• Not wanting to be outdone in the blustery contempt, the National Organization for Marriage (the Chrissy to Janets, uh, Janet) have teamed up with Pastor Wiley
Coyote Drake. You might remember him as the deeply concerned citizen who prayed for President Obama's death.
• But we forgot about Mittens! Yeah, he's still a dick.
• Also in that category is walrusy Nobel laureate Lech Walesa, who thinks winning the Peace Prize means never having to say you're sorry.
• Recently, Tokyo Disney hosted its first same-sex wedding. Hopefully, the event will explain to Minnie why Mickey always wears those short shorts.
• Fallon Fox comes out as the first transgender mixed martial arts fighter. Am I allowed to say "kick ass" here?
• Ringless super bowler Chris Culliver makes good on his pledge to meet with the Trevor Project.
• Artist Chris Sprouse will only illustrate comics sans Orson Scott Card. See what I did there? #fontnerd
• Brennan High School in San Antonio is being accused of anti-gay bias after pulling a lesbian couple's photo from their yearbook's Valentine's Day spread.