When longtime East Austin Mexican restaurateur Juan Meza says he serves breakfast and lunch every day, he really means it. However, Meza's beloved Tex-Mex breakfast mainstay was closed on an ordinary business day yesterday for the first time since the restaurant opened in 1980.
A pot of food left on the stove caught fire at Juan in a Million early Monday evening, according to reports on KXAN. Firemen alerted by neighbors who saw the smoke had the blaze under control in a matter of minutes, but the health inspector said an intensive cleanup of the smoke damage was required before the eatery could reopen. After a 24-hour cleanup, proprietor Juan Meza got permission to reopen on Wednesday, July 2. In Austin, even fire can't keep us away from tacos for long!
Juan in a Million
2300 E. Cesar Chavez, 512/472-3872
Copyright © 2014 Austin Chronicle Corporation. All rights reserved.