Utopiafest Survival Guide, Version 20.12
All the info you need for a truly epic weekend
By Courtney Byrd,
10:51AM, Tue. Sep. 25, 2012
This weekend, more than 2,000 music lovers will be headed to Utopia, TX in the West Texas Hill Country for what is sure to be an epic weekend of camping, dancing, grubbing, hanging and jamming at Utopiafest 2012.
To help you in your travels, we thought we’d provide you with our Utopiafest Survival Guide, Version 20.12. Some items are must-haves, while others are merely a courtesy to your co-festival-goers (see: extra TP and baby wipes), but all of them will help you keep the friends you go with, make new ones along the way, and have a kick-ass time in the process.
Need to bring…
▪ Tent: Car camping is only allowed in the VIP area, so make sure to pack your tent – all parts included. Double check, then triple check because when you drive three hours only to discover your tent poles are missing, you’re not going to be a very happy camper. (RVs and other specialty vehicles are allowed with a pass.)
▪ Air Mattress/Sleeping Bag/Pillows: You may find someone to share with… but then again, maybe not.
▪ Cash: No ATMs. Don’t be that guy.
▪ Food and beverages: Food Forest will be serving up grub and coffee from vendors, but we also suggest packing your own food for late-night munchies. BYOB, no glass allowed. Chrontourage Choice for Favorite Adult Beverage: Real Ale’s newly-debuted Fireman’s 4 cans. Also, if it's your thing, you might open your mind to some boxed wine. With the rising popularity of alternate, earth-friendly packaging these days, you can find boxed wine that is totally drinkable on its own, but you won't be out of line adding a splash of lemonade and some ice for instant sangria.
▪ Clothing suitable for weather conditions: Check it out here. As you may have noticed, there is a chance of rain, so you might want to pack a pair of boots, a raincoat, and/or a tarp if you want to be extra prepared.
▪ Insect repellant: DEET for the skeeters; we also recommend you be cautious of the fire ants when you’re pitching your tent or settling in for a great show.
▪ Showers available for $5/Free for VIP: Bring your own shower shoes and shampoo/soap. If you’re skipping the shower for the weekend, baby wipes and deodorant might be a nice gesture… Just a thought.
▪ Extra TP: There are twice as many Port O’ Potties and cleanings this year, but if we do run out, you’ll be everyone’s best friend.
▪ WATER, WATER and MORE WATER: Texas Music Water preferred, of course. Never Hungover probably wouldn’t hurt either…
▪ Other miscellaneous items to make the weekend just that much better: SPF, sunglasses, flashlights, folding chairs for everyone, cooler with extra ice, chapstick, ear plugs, trash bags, a camera and instruments for late night jam sessions.
If you’re feeling like it…
▪ Hiking shoes, yoga mat and/or disc golf set: For those feeling adventurous. Disc Golf is back and Black Swan Yoga will be hosting a sunset class during Kaki King’s Friday evening performance.
▪ Personal camp gas/charcoal stoves: Allowed if they’re off the ground. Otherwise, campfires will be allowed in designated fire rings only. Start one elsewhere and you’re outta there.
▪ Bubbles, Glow sticks, Hula Hoop… Whatever floats your boat for a better time.
Don’t even think about it…
▪ Pets: We love ‘em too… but they gotta stay home this weekend.
▪ Glass: Of any kind, including beer/liquor bottles, food jars, etc.
▪ Illegal substances of any kind: Not cool, dude. Not cool at all.
▪ Firearms or fireworks: Unless you’d like to be kicked out without a refund.
Now, where are you going exactly? 1555 Lemond Rd. Utopia, TX 78884
Not a camper? Check these cabins out.
And how do you get there? We've got you covered for that too.
See y’all in Utopia!