Heartening to see locals who otherwise have no connection to the Austin indie scene venturing out to discover what lurks at Beerland and beyond. Here’s a healthy slice of highlights from the final Saturday night of 2013 Free Week prognosticating.
• Employee Band Showcase: Kay Leotard, I’d Die for Lo-Fi, [paperthreat], Shawna James, the Frank Mustard Project (Antone’s)
• Blood Royale, Legion, Rust, Unmothered, Corpse, Ink Blot (Beerland)
• Ramsay Midwood, Union Specific, Tex Smith CD release, the Bluebird Specials (Hole in the Wall)
• Psychedelic Light & Sound Presents: Kay Leotard (1am), the Rich Hands (12mid), Deep Space (11pm), the Blind Pets (10), Vlad & the Village (9) Black Tabs (8), Modrag (7), Thee Dang Dangs (6), Surly Gates (5), Sonic Buffalo (4), Pi (3), Lattice (2) Lord Byron & the Electric Whips/Project Manhigh (1) (Hotel Vegas)
• Outside: Silent Diane, Feathers, Boan, Rare Species; inside: the Sour Notes, the Couch, Shivery Shakes, Letting Up (Mohawk)
• Hello Wheels, Maryann & the Revival Band, Acre Yawn, Walker Lukens (Parish)
• Outside: TV Torso, Oh No Oh My, Hundred Visions, Tiger Waves; inside: Camp X-Ray, Trip Crystals, Featherface, Animal (Red 7) – Raoul Hernandez