AISD Releases Facility Recommendations
Superintendent will ask for two charters, more
By Richard Whittaker, 5:59PM, Fri. Dec. 2, 2011
In a surprise move, AISD Superintendent Meria Carstarphen has released her Annual Academic and Facility Recommendations to the press this afternoon, in advance of a board work session on Nov. 5.
In-District Charters: Two charters are proposed.
– IDEA Public Schools take over K-2 and 6th at Allan in 2012-13, then move 6-7 to Eastside in 2013-14. Expand to fill all grades at both by 2018-19
– Graduation Pathway Program at Travis and Lanier, run by Responsive Education Solutions, targeting at-risk kids in grades 9-12.
School for young men and school for young women: No single sex recommendation this year, but still looking at Pearce and Garcia.
Elementary overcrowding: Radical proposals here.
– Pre-K-8 at Webb
– Pre-K center at Dobie, drawing on kids from Graham and Hart
– Move 6th graders at Barrington, Brown and Walnut Creek to their middle schools
– Designate 2008 elementary bond money for a 669 seat North Central campus.
Learning support centers/Disciplinary Placement: After staff at the Alternative Learning Center were told to prep their resumes, here's why. Bring in an outside provider to run a Learning Support Center.
Dual language immersion programs:
– One-way Chinese at Doss Elementary
– two-way Spanish at Blanton, Casey and Galindo Elementaries
Boundary changes as necessary: Including shifts for Allan, Govalle and Barrington, plus shifts to accommodate new elementary.
The timing of the announcement has blindsided the media, Education Austin, and the broader community, all of whom had been told that they would not get to see them until Dec. 9 for the final vote on Dec. 12. Expect to see the administration spending the next 10 days touting survey results, while holding the threat of heavy-handed Texas Education Agency action over everyone's heads.