The AggreGAYtor: August 1
Your daily dose of LGBTQ news
By Brandon Watson, 11:44AM, Wed. Aug. 1, 2012
The Village Voice outs George Jefferson, One Million Moms confirm they can’t read, and Pat Robertson gives us a stern talking-to. Today’s AggreGAYtor is a very special episode.
• Ignoring the irony, a Christian New Jersey bed and breakfast tells a lesbian couple that there is no room in the inn.
• Oakland queer youth center is destroyed in fire.
• The thrill of victory: Tilda Swinton lookalike and AggreGAYtor torch lighter Megan Rapinoe whomps North Korea. Yeah, I know Abby Wambach scored the winning goal. So what?
• Due to an apparent circuit malfunction, Mittens Romney organized a very queer Olympics in Salt Lake City.
• De-luxe apartment in the sky: The Village Voice’s Michael Musto outs mourned Jeffersons'actor Sherman Helmsley.
• Deflated weather balloon Pat Robertson thinks the DNC has a “death wish” for adding gay marriage to the platform.
• Missouri lesbian attacked in evident hate crime.
• San Francisco activists work to keep legendary bar the Eagle queer.
• The AggreGAYtor was stunned to find out that Texas has a pansexual feminist House Representative. Cheers to Mary Gonzales.
• Hot-diggity! It’s Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. Your AggreGAYtor plans to celebrate by slathering his naked body in Polynesian sauce and performing Diamanda Galas’ Plague Mass near the drive through. Too much?
• Queers and allies are providing delicious alternatives to the pickle-soaked patties. In NYC, Schnipper's Quality Kitchen will be donating a portion of their profits to Marriage Equality USA. Locally, In addition to the Gay-fil-A offered by Johnnye's, which we reported last week, Austin caterers are set to debut Chick-4-Gays. Sporting heartthrobs Team ProHomo will be taking part in the national Same-Sex Kiss Day. Equality Texas is asking for folks to put the cost of a chicken dinner towards the fight for equality.
• Austin movie production Ultraviolence –A Love Story looks to expand the reaches of queer cinema.