HIV in Travis County
Fri., Sept. 5, 2014
• The number of people living with HIV in Texas has increased by more than 20% since 2008.
• 90% of new cases in 2013 were among men who have sex with men.
• More than half of those cases identified as black or Hispanic.
• Women account for about 15% of the population living with HIV.
• Over 70% of women living with HIV contracted the virus through heterosexual sex.
• The CDC estimates that nearly 1 out of 5 people living with HIV are unaware of their status.
Source: Department of State Health Services 2013 HIV data for Austin metro area