Five Brenner Tips To Spark Your EAST Experience
Top stops, cheap art, and good eats on the 2011 East Austin Studio Tour
2) How can you, scraping by on that income, find something original and hangable for just $25? Birdhouse Gallery, 1304 E. Cesar Chavez, is selling dozens of tiny artworks – varied and vivid and 4 inches by 4 inches – for just that much. Bonus: Agave Prints pop-up next door, with works by Sev Coursen, Leon Alesi, Virginia Fleck, and more.
3) You like grackles? Well, then you're a sick little monkey, but you won't want to miss "The Great Grackle Show" at Clayworks, 1209 E. Sixth, where the vile bird is celebrated in ink, in paint, in glass, in ceramics, and on "Grackle con Chee-to" T-shirts.
4) Grab a bite at Buenos Aires Cafe, 1201 E. Sixth. Not just any bite and don't look at the menu; never mind the other stuff, no matter how putatively tasty. Just go in, sit down, and order a chicken empanada. That's right, just a chicken empanada. My email is listed in the Chronicle masthead: You can thank me via that address.
5) Big Medium, 5305 Bolm #12. Don't even get me started on thisplace, this busy warren of artists and studios and relentless creation, the very epicenter of EAST. They should be more accurate; they should call it Big Fucking Medium. Simply: Wow.
Download the East Austin Studio Tour map.
Caitlin Greenwood, Fri., Nov. 16, 2012
Robert Faires, Fri., Nov. 16, 2012
Fri., Nov. 16, 2012
Robert Faires, Fri., Sept. 14, 2012
Robert Faires, Fri., Nov. 11, 2011
Mamma Jamma Ride Kick-off Party at Saengerrunde Hall
at The Marchesa Hall & Theatre
Finding Rail Route Complicated Michael King, in “The Reading Railroad”, while making valuable points, seems to state that finding an initial route for urban ...
Problems Facing Mueller Neighborhood leaders and members past and present of the city of Austin's Robert Mueller Advisory Commission (RMAC) deserve credit for ...
People Are the Real Mueller Story Through various media, we are subjected to stories of Mueller: the construction project. While that can be appreciated, Mueller's true ...
Keeping Austin Weird Things that keep Austin weird: 1) belief that one needs a train to get from UT to the state Capitol; ...
More Women on the Cover, Please How about putting a woman on the cover once in a while? The last eight issues have all featured men ...
- Follow us@AustinChronicle